Shower pans are attached on the floor of the shower stall in order to collect the water when you take a shower. Pre-fabricated shower pans are now used as a cheaper alternative way of renovating the bathroom with custom tiles. Shower pans are usually made from fiberglass or acrylic with different sizes and shape. The installation process of shower pans on the concrete floor is almost the same as tiles but it is easier, lighter and more reasonable.
The shapes, sizes, and designs of the shower pans may vary but the installation process follows some basic steps for all types of shower pans. And you can easily install them in your bathroom spending from $250 to $900 depending on the proficiency of DIYers. You can hire any local professional and complete your installation properly and quickly within four to six hours.
Now let’s seehow to install a fiberglass shower pan on a concrete floor step by step.
How to install a fiberglass shower pan
- Necessary tools and equipment needed:
If you want to install a fiberglass shower pan, you will need some essential tools aside from the shower pan itself, such as:
- Screwdrivers (Phillips and flathead) and Screws (usually 1.5- 2 inches)
- Tape measure
- Carpenter’s level
- Power drill and drill bits
- Adjustable pliers
- Caulking gun
- Silicone bath caulk
- Framing square
- Wooden shims
- Masking tape
Here are the Installation Steps
Measure the installation space of the new shower pan
- Measure the walls that will come in contact with your shower pan and write down the measures. Then buy the shower pan according to this measurement.
- The common colors found in the market are white or almond and usually available standard sizes are 36” x 48”, 36” x 42”, 36” x 36”. If you want different sizes or colors rather than these, you have to make special pre-order.
2. Prepare the selected area for installation
4. After dry-fitting
5. Leveling the shower pan
- In order to drain the water properly while taking shower, the perfect leveling of the floor is a must. The integrated slope of the base will move water towards the drain. Level the pan using wood shims or carpenter’s level and adjust with shims as needed. The shims help the leveled sitting of the acrylic or fiberglass shower pans by compensating the sloping of the sub floor.
6. Attach the pan
- To attach the pan to the studs, mark the center of the studs on each side and drill holes at the pre-given marks. Now use rustproof screws or nails to screw or nail the shower pan into the stud. Check the base level and all the connections before sealing and make sure that there exists no leak.
7. Caulk and seal the pan
- Seal all the drilled parts and the holes of the shower pan using silicone bath caulk which is a tight, waterproof seal. To make the pan secure, seal the meeting places of the pan studs.
Acrylic shower pan installation
- Installation of acrylic shower pan includes the vacuum-creation process that makes the surface more scratch resistant, stronger and more durable. The cost of most acrylic and fiberglass shower pans usually ranging from $100 to $1,000. Fiberglass is more reasonable than acrylic shower pans but there is more possibility of scratching and color fading. While acrylic shower pans are more expensive but sustain longer. You will get both types of shower pans in different shapes like round, square, rectangle etc. The process of acrylic shower pan installation is almost the same as that of fiberglass pans. They differ in price, production materials, durability, the way of cleaning and maintenance.
How to install a shower pan liner
- You can use flexible PVC (polyvinyl chloride) or CPE (chlorinated polyethylene) liners as a waterproof membrane under the tile or the shower pan toprevent water-leak into the bathroom walls. To install the liner, place the shower pan liner on the floor flat and overlap it at the corners. Nail the liner into the studs with 8-penny nails. Now fold it over the curb of the shower and nail the liner into the top edge of the shower curb. Nail the shower liner only into the wall studs or the curb.
Now you know the installation procedure of fiberglass or acrylic shower pans and can easily install any of them to make your shower water-tight at a reasonable price.